Breaking Bulletin
Home / LEGAL / Dec 16 case : verdict on juvenile accused deferred
Dec 16 case : verdict on juvenile accused deferred

Dec 16 case : verdict on juvenile accused deferred

Dec 16 case : verdict on juvenile accused deferred

Delhi :25:07:2013:  O B Bureau : The Juvenile Justice Board has reportedly deferred verdict on the minor accused in the December 16 Delhi gang-rape case till August 5, 2013. After eliciting certain clarifications from the prosecution and the accused on July 11, the judge had fixed JULY 25 for the date of pronouncement of the verdict.Among the charges the juvenile is facing are gangrape, murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, attempt to murder, dacoity, destruction of evidence and conspiracy.The juveniles’ court had concluded the inquiry, which began in March against the juvenile, described the prosecution as the “most brutal of the six accused” on July 5.The incident occurred in Munirka of New Delhi when a 23-year-old female physiotherapy intern was beaten and gang raped in a bus in which she was travelling with her male companion.The accused, aged 17-and-half years at the time of the incident, may face a maximum punishment of a three-year stay in a special home, including the time already spent in detention during the proceedings in the board. He turned 18 last month.The victim had succumbed to injuries Dec 29 at the Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore.The victim’s family led calls for the teenager to be tried as an adult, alongside five men initially arrested over the savage crime on December 16, which led to weeks of protests in New Delhi and elsewhere with the country.The sentence is likely to cause further outrage in a country attempting to turn a rising tide of violence against women and which has passed a new law toughening sentences for adults convicted of sex crimes.Among the charges the juvenile was facing are gangrape, murder, kidnapping, unnatural offences, attempt to murder, dacoity, destruction of evidence and conspiracy.The juvenile’s lawyer had told the court that there was no medical evidence against him to connect him with the charges and no fingerprints could be detected in the bus to show his complicity.The juvenile in his statement recorded by the board during the inquiry claimed innocence and refuted the police version in the chargesheet of him being the “most brutal” of all the accused.The trial of four adult suspects continues but is expected to wrap up in the next few months, with the men facing a possible death sentence if convicted of rape and murder.The fifth adult, alleged ringleader Ram Singh, died in jail in an apparent suicide.The juvenile had claimed he was himself victimised by his employer Ram Singh, who, he said, did not pay him for his work.

About

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Scroll To Top