Important Achievements and future road map of Sports and Youth Services Department Odisha
- World Class Hockey Complex confirming to the norms of International Hockey Federation has been built at Kalinga Stadium Sports Complex. The Hockey Complex having two synthetic turfs has successfully hosted the FIH 8-Nation Champions Trophy Hockey Tournament from 6th to 14th December 2014, thus putting Bhubaneswar and the State of Odisha in the international sporting map. The venue was also chosen to host the Indo-Japan Hockey Test Series held from 3rd May to 9th May 2015.
- It has been decided for construction of Swimming Pool Complex at District level. The estimated cost for each swimming pool complex will be Rs. 3,50,36,500/- to be executed by IDCO. Approval has been accorded for construction of Swimming Pool at district headquarters of Boudh, Mayurbhanj, Jajpur, Ganjam (Berhampur), Subarnapur in the first phase. Approval has also been accorded for renovation of existing Jhasakaten Sahu Swimming Pool Complex at Sambalpur, which is underway.
- A scheme for direct appointment of meritorious sportsperson in Group “B” and Group “C” posts of Odisha Police depending on their degree of their achievement has been launched. Under the Scheme, 31 meritorious sportsperson were directly appointed to the Odisha Police in the first phase on April 30th 2015 in a function graced by Hon’ble Chief Minister, Odisha
- A total amount of Rs. 2.59 Crores has been awarded to 365 sportsperson during 2014-15.
- Renovation of existing stadiums is also in the future agenda of the Department.
- Government has also given priority on constructions of Mini Stadium in every Block as well as on development of a play ground in each Gram Panchayat of the State.
- Rugby has been included as an approved sports discipline of government of Odisha.
The Sports and Youth Services Department is committed for bringing excellence in sports and promoting the emerging players of the state.