Days after self-acclaimed “godman” Gurmeet Ram Rahim has been sent to jail for 20 years for raping two women, the country’s attention is now on other similar controversial figures, Radhe Maa being one of them. The self-styled “godwoman” has now hit the headlines as Punjab and Haryana High Court has ordered the Punjab Police to register an FIR against her on the plea of Surender Mittal. A resident of Phagwara, Punjab, Mittal was formerly a member of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and has alleged that Radhe Maa tried to seduce him and later cursed him.
The matter is almost two years old and now Mittal wants the High Court to take action against her. This is not the first time Radhe Maa has become the center of a controversy. Originally an ordinary tailor in a small town of Punjab, Radhe Maa has come a long way in the past few decades. Here are a few facts worth knowing about her:
1. Radhe Maa’s real name is Sukhvinder Kaur.
2. Born on March 3, 1965, she originally hails from Dorangala village of Gurdaspur district, Punjab.
3. She pursued education only till class X. At the age of 18, she married Mohan Singh and as per media reports, she was, until then, not much inclined towards spirituality.
4. Her husband did not earn much and she worked as a local tailor to supplement his income. Later, her husband left for Qatar in search of a job and she turned to the path of spirituality.
5. The name Radhe Maa was given to her by Mahant Ram Deen Das of 1008 Paramhans Bagh Dera Mukerian of Hoshiarpur, Punjab when she became his disciple at the age of 23.
6. Apparently, Radhe Maa dances with her devotees and has them lift and carry her. She even allows her devotees to kiss her and this is her style of blessing her followers. She and her followers claim that she is a reincarnation of Goddess Durga.
7. She is a mother of three, and, in fact, a grandmother as well. But according to her followers, the relationship between Radhe Maa and her husband, children, and grand children is that of mentor and disciples.
8. On August 29, 2015, Dwarkapeeth Shankaracharya Swami Swarupanand banned her from the Nashik Kumbh Mela because he felt that “the entry of pretenders is rising in the sacred arena of sadhus and mahants”. Therefore he banned Trikal Bhavanta, Radhe Maa, and Sachchidananda from being a part of the shahi snan (sacred bath).
9. Her two main disciples are Talli baba and Chhoti Ma. Proposals are forwarded by Talli baba to Chhoti Maa who then forwards them to Radhe Maa. Reportedly, Chhoti Maa is the only one who gets to see Radhe Maa and is her foremost aide. She has been granted divine powers by Radhe Maa herself.
10. She is hardly ever seen publicly without her red and golden attire but when Radhe Maa was spotted donning completely different clothing, a red colored short outfit, reportedly in Dubai, media arrived at a conclusion that she has a different wardrobe as well.
Having read so much about Radhe Maa, what are your views about her? Share with us in the comments section.